Navigating Traumatic Brain Injury Claims
A brain injury will not simply heal overnight; it often won’t even heal in a matter of weeks with the help of medical treatment. A traumatic brain injury (TBI) can take months or even years to heal—if it ever heals at all. TBIs are life-changing injuries that can have a tremendous impact on survivors and their families.
If you or someone you love suffered a TBI due to another person or party’s negligence, we can help. At David & Associates, Attorneys at Law, PLLC, we are committed to holding negligent parties accountable and helping you seek the maximum compensation you are owed. With over 136 years of combined experience, our Wilmington brain injury lawyers have the knowledge, resources, and skills to effectively advocate for you and your recovery.
Contact our firm online or give us a call at 910-208-0535 today to learn more during a free initial consultation. We are available to assist you 24/7.
What Are the Leading Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries?
Traumatic brain injuries are common in car accidents, especially head-on or rear-end collisions. In these types of crashes, victims may experience sudden, violent jolting or severe blows to the head, leading to brain damage and related injuries. Other motor vehicle accidents, including those involving motorcycles and large trucks, also frequently lead to serious brain injuries.
In addition to motor vehicle accidents, some of the leading causes of TBIs include:
- Falls, including slip and fall accidents and falls from heights
- Sports and recreation accidents, including boating and RV accidents
- Medical malpractice, including errors leading to birth injuries
- Swimming pool accidents, near-drownings, and other incidents involving loss of oxygen
- Bicycle accidents and pedestrian accidents
- Violence, including assault/battery and gun violence
If you believe your brain injury or your loved one’s brain injury was caused by someone else’s negligent or wrongful conduct, get in touch with our Wilmington brain injury lawyers to learn more about your rights and legal options. You could be entitled to financial compensation for your current and future medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Signs of a Brain Injury
In some cases, brain injuries can be obvious, particularly when a person loses consciousness or has visible external bleeding. However, some TBIs may go unnoticed—and, therefore, untreated—if the victim and/or their loved ones do not know the symptoms of a brain injury. Because early treatment is so critical in brain injury cases, it is crucial that you are able to recognize the signs of a possible TBI.
Some common brain injury symptoms include:
- Headache, particularly a persistent headache or one that worsens over time
- Loss of consciousness, whether brief or prolonged
- Dizziness, nausea, and/or vomiting
- Disorientation, confusion, and “clouded” or “foggy” thoughts
- Inability to remember the accident/memory problems
- Difficulty concentrating or focusing on tasks
- Speech problems, including slurred speech or delayed responses
- Changes in sleeping patterns, including excessive sleeping or insomnia
- Sensory issues, such as blurred vision or “ringing” in the ears
- Clear fluid draining from the ears or nose
- Changes in mood or behavior
- Depression, irritability, and other new or increased mental health issues
At David & Associates, we cannot stress enough how important it is to get immediate medical treatment after an accident. Seemingly mild symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, and confusion can be signs of brain damage. Always see a medical professional after an accident, particularly if you suffered a blow to the head, violent jolt, or are exhibiting signs of a brain injury.
How Our Firm Can Help
When you trust your catastrophic injury case to our firm, our attorneys will handle every detail, from making sure you get proper medical treatment to fighting tirelessly to uncover and obtain money from the insurance company. We work with a team of experts comprising accident reconstructionists, economists, vocational specialists, and engineers to determine what caused the accident, who is at fault, and what resources you will need to maintain a good quality of life after your accident. We fight to help our clients recover the rightful compensation they are owed for all of their economic and non-economic damages, including medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, lost quality of life, and more.
After a serious accident, you need lawyers who will stand up to the insurance companies and fight for your rights. At David & Associates, Attorneys at Law, PLLC, we are prepared to do exactly that. With multiple office locations throughout North Carolina and 24/7 availability, we are well-positioned to help you get started with your claim today.
Contact us today for a free consultation; call 910-208-0535 or submit an online request form and a member of our team will be in touch with you shortly.