When you're hurt on the job, get help with workers' compensation

Workplace injuries can happen to anyone, and when they do, you'll likely head over to MEDAC Health Services to get care. When you're there, one of the most important things to do is to tell them that you're there because of a workplace injury.

After any significant injury, it's important to go either to your local urgent care or to head to the hospital. If you cannot walk well, have significant bleeding or lacerations, or have other major injuries, call 911 and don't wait to go to an urgent care facility.

What do you do after you receive medical treatment?

After you receive medical treatment, it's your responsibility to inform your employer of your injuries if they don't already know. They should then help you file for workers' compensation through their workers' compensation insurance provider.

There are rare cases where employers may not want to file workers' compensation claims for an injury or injuries. They may think that a worker injured themselves on purpose or in order to make a claim. Regardless, it is your right to file a claim, even if your employer disagrees. If they refuse to allow you to file or make a statement that you shouldn't receive coverage to the workers' compensation insurance company, then you should speak with your attorney immediately.

What happens after you file your claim?

After you file a claim, the workers' compensation insurance company will need to respond to the claim quickly. It's their job to review documents pertaining to the claim and to verify that you were hurt on the job and qualify for coverage in North Carolina.

Most people have no trouble getting coverage. Then, they can move forward with treatment and stop worrying about having to pay out-of-pocket for their medical expenses. Additionally, an approved claim comes with the knowledge that you will receive regular benefits payments, so that you can support yourself despite being unable to work.

If your claim is denied, then you will need to speak with your attorney about appealing the decision. You have the right to appeal. Your attorney will talk with your employer to determine if they had anything to do with the denial. Additionally, your attorney can review the reason for the denial and look into ways that you can submit further documentation to make sure that you get the appropriate medical coverage and compensation for your lost wages. Workers' compensation is designed to be there for you, so your attorney will fight to make sure you get it.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
[ Our Video Center ]

Get Your Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For a Response

Voted “BEST LAW FIRM IN WILMINGTON” by WWAY-TV and Encore magazine


1516 Dawson Street
(Corner of Dawson & 16th St.)
Wilmington, NC 28401

Toll Free: 800-724-0235
Phone: 910-338-9490
Fax: 910-251-8430
Wilmington Law Office Map

602 Beamon Street
Clinton, NC 28328

Toll Free: 800-724-0235
Phone: 910-338-9490
Map & Directions

620 Ocean Highway West
Supply, NC 28462

Toll Free: 800-724-0235
Phone: 910-338-9490
Map & Directions

323 Western Blvd.
Jacksonville, NC 28546

Toll Free: 800-724-0235
Phone: 910-338-9490
Jacksonville Law Office Map

5611 NC Hwy 41
Suite G
Wallace, NC 28466

Toll Free: 800-724-0235
Phone: 910-338-9490
Wallace Law Office Map

4146 Long Beach Road SE
Southport, NC 28461

Toll Free: 800-724-0235
Phone: 910-338-9490
Map & Directions

136 A Memory Plaza
Whiteville, NC 28472

Toll Free: 800-724-0235
Phone: 910-338-9490
Map & Directions